About this service
The Royal Cornwall Hospitals Theatres team carries out a range of planned and emergency operations from our three sites: Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro, St Michael’s Hospital in Hayle, and West Cornwall Hospital in Penzance.
We perform a significant amount of cutting edge trauma surgery and are also incredibly proud to count among our team a number of surgeons who are recognised nationally and internationally for their pioneering work in their speciality.
Our specialties include:
- Gynaecology, including innovative procedures for endometriosis and gynae urological surgery,
- Urology, including laparoscopic and laser surgery,
- Upper and lower gastrointestinal surgery,
- Ophthalmics, including vitreoretinal (VR) and emergency VR work,
- Trauma orthopaedics,
- Vascular, including state of the art endovascular procedures such as interventional emergency repairs of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm,
- Emergency surgery,
- Ear, nose and throat,
- Reconstructive surgeries including maxillofacial, osteotomy and breast,
- Multi-speciality paediatric surgery.
Before your planned surgery
Many factors can affect surgery, and you may be asked to come in for an assessment shortly before your surgery, so that we can make sure you are fully fit and prepared beforehand. This helps us reduce the risk of having to cancel or reschedule your operation and keeps your stay in hospital as short as possible. It’s also a chance for you to ask any questions you have about coming in for surgery.
Central Pre Op Assessment is a specialist department at the Royal Cornwall Hospital especially for patients who are coming into hospital for planned surgery.
Some surgeries may require the formation of a stoma. For information about caring for your stoma post-surgery, please contact us using the details below.
- Telephone: 01872 258068
- Telephone: 01872 252700
- Email: email@example.com
Where to find us
Pre-op Assessment, Treliske
If you’re coming from the main hospital car park, pre op assessment is behind Bedruthan House, opposite the Hub (which is on the left-hand side of Penventinnie Lane). There is limited parking outside, but most people park in the main car park and walk across.
If you are coming in for day surgery, your letter will tell you where to come, what to bring and anything you need to do beforehand. Our main day surgery wards are:
- Newlyn Unit at the Royal Cornwall Hospital
- Eden at the Royal Cornwall Hospital
- St Mawes at the Royal Cornwall Hospital
Or you can visit our A-Z of services for specific information about the service that will be treating you.
Staying overnight after surgery
If you are coming in for surgery, and will be staying in hospital overnight, you can find out more about coming to hospital as an inpatient here. Your patient letter will tell you where you need to go initially.
Patient Information (Leaflets)
Page last reviewed: 11 May 2023